The United Methodist Women’s organization at First United Methodist Church of Mattoon held its 19th annual Garden Walk .
The “Gather at the Gardens” Garden Walk was held from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and featured six yards and gardens, all located in Mattoon:
- Randy and Susie Adair at 904 Moultrie
- Mark and Jodi Creed at 1320 South 4th Street
- Justin and Connie Grady at 3320 Western Avenue
- Jeff and Lorraine Malmborg at 3205 Western Avenue
- Gary and Gayle Patrem at 12 St. Andrews Place
- Jeremie and Tammy Smith at 3301 PrairieParticipants couldstart their day at any of the gardens.All of the proceeds from the Garden Walk will be used for the United Methodist Women’s mission projects. In the past, funds from the Garden Walk have helped the Mattoon PADS Shelter, the Midwest Distribution Center, the Crisis Pregnancy Center, and Chaddock’s Children’s Home in Quincy.
Tickets can be purchased in advance for $7 per person. Advance tickets are available at DeBuhr’s Seed and Feed and at the Mattoon First United Methodist Church office at 16th and Charleston Avenue.
On the day of the Garden Walk, tickets will cost $8 per person and can be purchased at any of the participating gardens or at the church office. More information about First United Methodist Church and the Garden Walk is available at www.mattoonumc.org.
Our District Spring Meeting is April 20 is in Watson, Il. Cunningham Children’s Home is asking that we bring men’s ankle socks and gift cards for Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer, Jimmy Johns, or Steak and Shake. They also ask for Box Tops for Education. Lessie Bates asks for socks for both sexes, all ages and Canned Goods. Items may be left in the church in a box marked UMW. Gift Cards could be given to Dora in the office to be placed in the UMW Mailbox. There will be a shoe box on the reception desk for the Box Tops which can be cut from cereal boxes and baking mix boxes. All members of the church may donate.
Rebecca Circle had a BRAINSTORMING session and developed this idea for Lent. Ladies could give away 40 items during Lent such as clothing or other items. $40 to your favorite charity would also count as “items”. Give this some thought. Place a note in the UMW Mailbox in the office to let us know what you did so that we may share ideas. Do not include your name. ALL LADIES OF THE CHURCH ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE .
At Mattoon First, our United Methodist Women’s organization is making a difference in the world….by planning mission programs, raising funds for local, national, and global mission projects, and growing together in fellowship and faith. The local UMW consists of two “Circles”, which are small groups, each with its own focus, that meet monthly. We invite and welcome women of all ages to join hands with us in mission and caring!
- Mary Circle (2nd Mondays of each month in the afternoon)
- Rebecca Circle (2nd Mondays of each month in the evening)